Jessica Ackerman - If you have a patio, chances are you're just a bit sad that summer is ending. Some people look at the end of summer as the end of entertaining and relaxing on their outdoor patio. Fortunately, with a little decorating and a few additional accessories, you can continue to enjoy your patio area well into the autumn months. Here are some tips to help you get your patio ready for fall fun.
Although autumn days are usually still warm, the evenings can start to get a bit too cool to sit out on the patio. You can fix this situation by adding a patio stove or heater. These come in a wide variety of styles and sizes, including larger free-standing models as well as smaller tabletop or wall-mounted heaters.
- When choosing a patio heater, you should consider the amount of area that you wish to heat. On the average, a small unit will only be able to warm up a circle around ten feet in diameter, while a larger one can warm up an area at least twice that size.
- Propane, natural gas, and electric models are all popular choices. Be sure any model you choose includes a safety shut off.
Here are some other stay-warm patio ideas that will help you keep your resolution.
- Patio fireplaces can also be a good choice for fall patio enjoyment.
- Keep a warm blanket or quilt nearby for added comfort on chilly autumn evenings.
- Furniture with hidden storage can work well for keeping a quilt and other supplies nearby.
- Using cushions on your patio furniture can also make them more warm and comfortable.
- Outdoor thermometer wall clocks are great for keeping track of the temperature as well as the time when you're out on the patio. They also add a decorative touch.
Since autumn days are shorter, you'll have more need for patio lighting. Table lanterns, hurricane lamps, and patio string lights are all good choices. In fact, you'll probably want to have several lighting options so that you can match the level of light to your mood and the event. Patio string lights come in such a wide variety of colors and styles, you should have no problem finding a set that adds the perfect finishing touch to your autumn patio decorating theme.
- Cooler autumn evenings often bring an end to many summer flowers and plants. If your patio planters are looking a bit sparse, replant them for the fall season with hardy mums, pansies, and violas. Pansies and violas will often bounce back in the early spring, providing a bit of color when nothing else is blooming.
- You can also get a bit more enjoyment from some of your hanging basket plants by moving them indoors in the evening. Simply sitting them in the garage can provide enough protection to allow you to continue to enjoy them during the daytime, well into the autumn months.
- Decorating the patio with pumpkins, gourds, and other seasonal items can also add color and a touch of autumn to your patio decor.
- Art pieces such as a tree wall art hanging can add a seasonal touch to your back patio wall.
Jessica Ackerman is a Design Specialist on the Wall Decor & Home Accents website team.