The 8 Best Interior Design Color Sources
Irwin Weiner ASID - I love how both the fashion and interior design industries are run by "trends." So-called experts and manufacturers come out at the start of each new year with their color trend prognostications. They group colors together into compelling "stories" and tie in editorial hogwash aimed at attracting consumers.
"These shades of green will give you the comfort you're looking for in a world plagued by a declining economy - and who can't use a reassuring life?" "These colors radiate warmth and sunniness, putting you into a good mood and energizing your life." It all sounds good, but it boils down to the very real psychology behind colors.
Cool and warm colors impact our moods, and if you're running a paint company or coming out with new appliances or floor fashions or wall coverings, it pays to tap into the psychological vein, spin some color palette stories, and call them hot trends in the hope that consumers will buy more of your products.
I don't think color trends amount to compelling information you must use to keep your house fresh, au courant, and trendy - you know how I hate that. Be done with the fashion victim "hot color of the year" cycle and make your home timeless looking. Stop being a trend slave. But do look at what the color experts are putting together when it comes to "color stories."
These can be helpful ways to group colors that make sense and sometimes form surprising color blocks that might shake your interiors out of the doldrums. Experts are putting these stories together, so look at a variety of them and gravitate towards the one that you'd like to live around day after day in your home. Here are the 8 best sources that can give you color inspiration; click on the links below for more information.
- Benjamin Moore Color Trends 2012 - Earth & Sky, Eclectic Elegance, Spiced Life, Sense & Sensibility
- Sherwin-Williams colormix 2012 forecast - Neutrals, Reds, Blues, Greens
- Valspar Trend Colors 2012 - Precious Garden, Converging Cultures, Organic Elements, Urban Light
- California Paint Company Color Trends 2012 - Soulful, Spirited, Dreamy
- Behr Color Trends 2012 - Santa Fe Today, Retro Recall, Safari Escape, Tea Party
- Dunn-Edwards Simply Refocus 2012 Color Trends - Simply Sentimental, Simply Refined, Simply Revolutionary, Simply Essential
- And if you'd like to purchase industry forecasts that are 2 years ahead of the current season, go to Global Color Research Mix Trends publications